Sunday, March 11, 2012

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Friendship Baptist Church
I absolutely loved the decorations when you
came down the stairs to go to the basement.
I especially loved this frame! :-)


Our school rooms this week!  There were enough
rooms so that each girl could get their own :-)
I don't know how much they enjoyed being alone,
not as much excitement, but then they seemed to
get done with their schooling a lot faster because
there were a lot less distractions! :-)

The extra chairs in the room were set up because they
also used a couple of the rooms in the evening for prayer.

 
Ariel & I got to share a room though :-)
 
We stayed with a younger married couple.  I thought
that this saying on their fridge was pretty cute! ;-)
Wes Linville, who graduated from BCM in 2006,
and Jessica, his wife, who graduated in 2007,
attend this church.  Wes is the assistant pastor
and seems to be a great asset to Pastor Hamilton!
They have three adorable kids!  Torrey is pictured above.
Whitney is their oldest.
And Frasier is their youngest.
They have their hands full! :-)
Savannah Barta
The connection - Savannah's mom, Rebekah,
is Joe Mueller's sister :-)  It was very
nice to fellowship with them this week!
 
Savannah playing "peek-a-boo" :-)
Here's Torrey again!  He's quite the cheese :-)
He loved the camera and wanted a picture!
Sound like anyone else you know?! ;-)

 
Ariel & Frasier
We ended up being in the nursery almost the whole week.
It was nice to be able to give nursery workers a break :-)
The girls made such good helpers!  They're so good with kids!
We got to go shopping at some second-hand
stores on Friday.  Stephanie found this adorable
jacket for Janna!  Janna always talks about her
big shoulders, so maybe Steph thought this
would help her?! ;-)  They're crazy fun! :-)
 
The girls found a purse that I'd like... :-)
I was giving the girls their Spelling words & I gave
them the word "web".  I automatically thought of
Jacquelyn Webb (not the same spelling but sounds
the same), my dear friend from North Carolina :-)
I didn't say anything to the girls, but when I got
Janna's words back to grade them, I found that she'd
written Jacquelyn's name in parentheses next to "web" :-)
You're being thought of, Jack! :-)  Miss you!
Okay, I have lots of cute stories from this week, so I'll
just tell some :-) Pastor Hamilton's son, Jordan, is
downsyndrome.  He's so sweet and really so much fun!
One day when I was talking to him, he found out that
I'd been struggling with a cold.  In the middle of our
conversation he says, "I have just the thing for you!"
And he goes to the kitchen.  I followed him, curious
to see what this "thing" would be :-)  He gets a cup,
gets ice out of the freezer, puts it in the cup, tests the
water, and then fills my cup up with cold water and hands
it to me!  It was a really very sweet gesture :-)
Well, it didn't stop there :-)  The next day, as I came out
from the bathroom, he was standing there holding another
cup of ice water for me :-)  
There's more...
I found out from Mrs. Van that Jordan was in the kitchen
making a special brew for "someone who was sick", and,
sure enough, he brings me a cup of a hot drink with
the word echinacea written on a 3x5 card on top of the
plate that sat on top of the cup (to keep it warm).
He even gave me the recipe later in the week...
said it was Dr. J Hamilton's recipe for good health! :-)
Let me know if you want it! :-)
And then the last day he delivered me a cup of tea, too.
He really took great care of me!  It was so cute :-)
On Friday, the lady who was making lunch for us set
off the fire alarm... I think it was the stove's fault! :-)
Well, it was pretty smokey in there so we tried just airing
it out best we could & comforting her that it was all
okay and we were still gonna eat her cookin'! :-)
Well, Stephanie comes in from being outside with a horrified/
comical look on her face and said, "The firemen are here!"
Sure enough!  They'd come!  It was definitely an interesting
part of our day & we enjoyed trying to get pics to remember
this momentous occasion! :-)
Here we are with Merilee and Jordan :-)
Merilee was the sweetest thing as well!  She'd been
hit by a car when she was 11, so she had brain damage,
but the church there just seemed to take her in and really
help her.  Mrs. Hamilton especially sounded like she did a
great deal with her and for her.
 
Here we are with Jordan :-)
He wanted to take a picture with us girls because
we all matched with our purple (he has purple in
his tie.. just kind of hard to see) :-)

When we left on Saturday, Jordan was quite beside himself
with grief!  He even told Mrs. Van that he might as well be
digging his grave!  He was crying and crying.. :-/
As he was talking to Ariel before we left, he went over and got
the salt from the kitchen and started pouring it on his head.
When Ariel asked what he was doing he said, "Dust and ashes!"
Then after we all prayed outside with Pastor Wes before we left,
Jordan poured some salt on Wes' head as well :-)  He was
quite sad to see us go!  It was pretty cute :-)

2 comments:

  1. Ariel,
    I love your grey sweater with the navy polka dots! Where did you get it? It is so cute!
    Miss you and thinking of you,
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tizzy!
    Hope you are having a good time in Ohio, the dogs say they miss you girls! LOL! Keep in touch! Tell Ariel to do so as well!
    Praying for you all,
    Mrs. Piercy

    ReplyDelete