Monday, November 7, 2011

La Mesa, California



 The view from the front of the church.
Do you see the houses up on the hill?

 The "inner court" :-)
 They even had a fountain!
It was a very small school, but they had some nice facilities.
 On Sunday we went to the Hometown Buffet.
No gift cards this time, but we had a great time! :-)
We had fun trying on each others' glasses.
 Dark rims for me? :-)
 Because it was such a smaller school and because
people were absent, Janna and Stephanie had the 
opportunity to compete in some of the afternoon competitions.





 What a save! :-)

 On Tuesday night we went out recruiting with some
of the Spanish teens from the Spanish ministry there.
Such an awesome ministry!  God is really working!
We enjoyed getting to know these special teens!
 I walked past one day to find DJ just sitting and
talking to this little girl.  It was pretty cute :-)
Definitely a "picture perfect" moment :-)
 Ready for WAR!

 The recruits roll in!

 Thanks to the youth pastor, I have some
amazingly clear pictures to post! :-)






 

 This cute little girl came up to me, stuck her hand
out, and shook my hand :-)  She didn't say much
right away but she was super friendly!  We hit it off! :-)
She was pretty adorable!
 For a small school, we had a pretty good crowd on
Wednesday night.  I think each of the nights stayed
right around 40 to 45 teenagers.

 
 Big Ball Basketball on Thursday night
"This is basketball, not soccer!" ;-)
 Spoke Tackle... "America's Roughest Race"!


 

 
The sunset that night was BEAUTIFUL!
There's nothing quite like seeing 
palm trees and the sunset... :-)
 A girl that I had recruited and her friend came on
Thursday night.  This was one of the wallpapers
for their phones.  I thought it was hilarious! :-)
 Getting ready to do our Dinner Decisions skit

 Can you tell DJ's just a little bit annoyed with me?! ;-)
 I was "gritting my teeth" after DJ threw a cup
of water in my face... of course, I had asked him
to try to not throw it directly in my face!
Bad thing to do... :-)
Crystal had fun "preachin" to the Spanish teen girls ;-)
 They were an awesome group of teens!
Although we were all different, in Christ we
had so much in common!  It was so special!

On Thursday night, the girl I'd recruited and her
friend who came both responded to the salvation
message.  Well, the friend responded right away,
but the other girl was sitting there in her seat
for a while.  She had raised her hand a couple
times expressing her need of a Savior, but she
didn't respond right away.  I was watching her
and she raised her hand during the invitation.
Obviously she had a question.  Dr. Jim saw
it and mentioned something.  Ruth, one of
the Spanish teens, went up to talk to her
and see what she needed.  I also went up
to her to check on what was going on.
I could tell she wanted to talk, so I told
her to stand up, open her eyes, and come
with me.  When we sat down to talk she
said she had just been confused as to what
she was supposed to do.  When I was asking
her if she thought she was a sinner, she said,
"Oh yes!  I trash my parents, lie, and take
God's name in vain.. I probably do more, but
those are just three things that I remember
the preacher said that I know I do."
It was so cute! :-)
That night she and her friend were gloriously saved!
 Friday morning scavenger hunt in chapel

 Crystal has also been inspired to learn sign language! ;-)
 Friday Night War... Tug-of-War!


 Once again, a beautiful sky and palm trees!
California is pretty awesome! :-)
 Short-Range Bombardment

 

 That night as well the church had a "Hobo night".
Basically it's their substitution for the kids to have
fun and get candy without going trick-or-treating.
Here's the pastor with some kind of "tractor ride"
he'd configured up! :-)
 While the teens were doing their second competition,
we went to the "fair" :-)  The girls enjoyed playing
the games and winning prizes! :-)
 The pastor's wife, Mrs. Sherwood :-)
She's all dressed up for the occasion!
 Stephanie trying to do the penny toss
 Here's their "hobo soup"!  Everyone brings a can
of a different kind of soup and they mix it all
together!  This is what it looked like!
They also have "suicide punch" where everyone
brings a different kind of pop that they mix together.
I'd never heard of it before, but I thought it was a
unique idea! :-)
 Trying the "hobo soup"!  We were brave! ;-)

 I think this picture speaks very well for itself... ;-p
 Matt makes too good of a nerd.. it's scary!
 Thomas the Mugger
 B.O. Man

 Pleading for mercy... ;-)
Senior Citizen Man

 The youth pastor, the pastor's son, and his wife.
A disclaimer that I told the youth pastor I would
put in... he doesn't normally look like this.  He
was dressed up for "hobo night" too! ;-)
 Some fun after the War
Of course, Thomas doesn't usually have trouble
having fun or making friends of all ages! ;-)
 The youth pastor and the guys had fun doin'
some fiddlin' before the night was through!
 Thomas enjoyed getting the 
audience involved, too! :-)
 Saying goodbye to our Spanish girls!
Me with Martha and Ruth
 Martha, Crystal, and Ruth
 Bye girls!  We had a great time with you all!
We're gonna miss you!
 Since we never got pictures with the
princesses at Disneyland, it worked out
perfectly that there were princesses on
the walls in one of the rooms of the 
house we were staying in! ;-)

 Before we left on Saturday, we had to get a picture
of Crystal with her new truck!  I think this one is
better than the brown one from Pleasant Hill, don't you?!
 Here's the hill we walked up to go to 
the church in the mornings!  
It was great exercise! :-)
 Gotta love the palm trees!
We walked to a nearby gas station before
we left... Crystal's all ready now 
with her energy drink!  
Can you tell she's excited?! ;-)
Ready to move on to Long Beach
to do it all over again! :-)

5 comments:

  1. Nice pics!!! Seems you all had a wonderful week!!! Praying for you guys!!! And Crystal the white truck is definitely better!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah! Tizzy in "nishkes" (sp?)?? I LOVE IT :) I agree...the palm trees with a sunset like that is just beautiful!

    Carly

    ReplyDelete
  3. TIZ! When will you learn? Its not pop, its SODA!!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd have to agree that Matt makes a great Nerd and that it is rather scary how easy it comes to him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice info here and very informative. What a very nice place!

    Jerimiah Taylor
    La Mesa Real Estate

    ReplyDelete