Tuesday, October 4, 2011

San Francisco... What a Wonderful Place!

 The team (excluding Dr. Jim) and some of Thomas'
family, who we're staying with for a few days before
going to our next destination for the War, went to tour
San Francisco on Monday.  I was so excited that 
I finally got to go!  I'd seen pictures 
and heard awesome things about it!
 Golden Gate Bridge
 It's awesome to have Crystal join us for the 
remaining part of this fall tour!

L to R: Rebekah, Thomas' sister, Janna,
Stephanie, and Annaleese.
Rebekah is right around the girl's ages
and they've been having lots of fun together!

 Stephanie pointed out that this could also stand
for "I Love Special Forces"... :-)
 Mom, could you imagine doing this?!
 The brick building that you can see below the
bridge in this picture, used to be a fort where
they'd watch for pirates coming in to the bay!  
I thought that was pretty cool!
 Walking across the bridge...
It was awesome!  Mom, you would've died! ;-)
Actually most didn't walk very far, but DJ, Matt,
Crystal, and I walked/ran almost the whole way :-)
We would've walked the whole way, but we heard 
there was construction at the end, so we couldn't.
 The city of San Francisco
 The city and Alcatraz on the island over to the left.
 The inside of the fort... there was even a cannon inside!
Pretty awesome! :-)
 There was an opening along the walk across
the bridge... it's a long way down!  Definitely
not a walk for someone who is terrified of heights!
 The inside of the fort from the other side


 I thought that this even looked like a pirates ship! :-)
 I thought this sign was SO funny!  Duh!
 We kept looking over the edge into the water
to watch dolphins!  It was so awesome!
There were tons of them!  They looked so small
since we were so far up!  So, since we kept looking
over the side to watch them as we walked, I felt like 
I was gonna hit into these large poles!  Matt, of course,
took the opportunity for a "picture perfect" moment! ;-)
 The hills were crazy steep to drive up and down!
 

 The famous Lombard St.
(Just in case you didn't know about it ;-))

 Crazy that someone would try and park their car here!

 These "little cars" were so cute! ;-)
As Crystal said, the perfect "honeymoon cars"! :-)
 Can you see how crooked it is?!
 Another "must see" if you ever go to San Fran... Pier 39!

 Awesome all the boats in the bay!
 And this Seagull was real :-)
 Janna thought that these bricks looked like dog bones :-)
 Pier 39 is filled with lots of awesome little shops!
Definitely a "tourist trap"... and it worked! :-)
 Visiting an Alcatraz gift shop!
Of course, we had to play around with
all these awesome little trinkets! :-)
 Guess I don't look too sad to be in prison...
actually, the shirt says that I "escaped from Alcatraz"
so I guess that's why I was so happy! ;-)
 Watching a documentary on an escape from Alcatraz
 Of course had to get a pic of this!
She's so famous, they even have a shop for her, I guess! ;-)

 We had a bit of fun in the Krazy Hatz store! :-)
 Have you ever seen fire in the middle of a table like this?!
 Alcatraz
 Sea Lions
 Happy 21st anniversary, Sea Lions!  How.. dumb :-)
 Pretty awesome bushes!  I guess it made up for
not seeing "the bush man" in action! :-)

 There was a store that had tons of magnets...
almost anything you could think of, including food!
Crystal thought these cheeseburgers looked good, I guess! :-)

 I thought these little sayings were so funny! :-D


 A Coca-Cola stool for you, Anna :-)
 Had to get a pic of the Blue & Gold Fleet!
Even San Fran knows what state is the best! ;-)
Crystal had never been to the Rainforest Cafe!
So, we stopped in for her to take a look :-)
 

 Crystal & I "got lost" for a while looking around
shops, so we finally met up with the group
again at the Fisherman's Wharf for a bit to eat...
I even tried some Clam Chowder Soup! :-)

 Mrs. Van got a little gift for Dr. Jim since he wasn't able 
to be there with us.  Jan had fun playing around with it! :-)
 I think this look fits her... don't you think?! ;-)
 Thomas with his sister, Rebekah

 These animals were made out of bread!  So awesome!

 Thomas is so incredibly nice!  Here he is giving
a gospel tract to a "homeless" man after having
bought him two sandwiches from McDonald's!
He's so much kinder than I think I could ever
even hope to be!  I should definitely take lessons! :-)
 We went back to the Rainforest Cafe after we had eaten
so that the others could see it too... it's amazing how
many people had never been there!



 Frog for you, Dave! :-)
 And fountains for you, Jo! :-)

 I love the pink sky with the stars!
Stars definitely make me think of you, Tab! :-)
 Felt right at home when I saw this! :-)
Crystal was feeling right at home with the
Graffiti, traffic, litter, and pollution :-D
(she's from Queens, just minutes from Manhattan)
 The Segways tootling around the city!
I'm not exactly sure what they do, but they looked
like they were enjoying themselves, so that's good! :-)
 The beginning of our day was nice and then it
started to rain.  We still had a lot of fun, 
even if the sky was moody! ;-)
 We ended our tour of San Francisco with a visit to
Ghirardelli's chocolate factory!




 Oh my, Steph!  That's a lot for a little girl!
She didn't eat it all by herself, though... :-)

 Rebekah, Thomas, and Janna split this peanut butter
sundae!  Janna must really like Thomas
that she would share her food with him! ;-)
It's been good for her to have Thomas travel, I think!
 Janna & Crystal
I think these two will end up being quite the match!
 The San Francisco Bridge
 The AT&T Ball Park
These pics were taken on the way to try and find
an outlet store that we'd been looking for...
we found it!  But unfortunately it was already closed!
Guess no wedding dresses for us today... :-)
 Thomas was working with Leesie on her yarning
skills on the way back to the Ciaramitaro's.
Crystal and I ended up getting these San Francisco
hoodies!  They're so comfy and warm!
We had a great time in San Francisco!
I really enjoyed the time getting to know Crystal
better too... we had some really good chats.
I think we'll have a great time traveling together :-)

5 comments:

  1. Dizzy Lizzy,
    While you are traveling the wild west U of M football is winning games. I saw only two of your pictures that displayed the Maize and Blue, but it took an hour to get through them, so I gave up. You really are camera happy. I'm glad they let you leave Alcatraz. Go Blue.

    Dr. McNeilly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Crystal, ya leave school and go to help with the WAR?! Not by the looks of these pics. What are your real motives for traveling? :)

    Looks like you all had a wonderful time!
    Carly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like Crystal is already having a blast!!! Praying for you all!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just LOVE all the pics and posts - feels like I've been to SF myself!! Keep 'em coming... Looks like you're having entirely too much fun :)

    Love and miss you lots,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Jana I was totally shocked when I saw that you were sharing w/ other people!!!! =) lol You being the person who LOVES to share food! =) jk
    luv ya
    Miki

    ReplyDelete